EVENT – Pangolins are people too
Thursday 13 May 2021 at 18h30
Join environmental activist, author and broadcaster, Richard Peirce, as he chairs a panel discussion about pangolins and their survival.
Pangolins rescued from traffickers come in all shapes, sizes and states of health.
- Do the rehabilitators ever feel like giving up?
- How much of their hearts do they give to these animals?
- What’s so special about pangolins?
- What new and exciting pangolin facts are the scientists uncovering?
- Would it matter if the world’s most trafficked mammal became extinct?
- Why do humans fall in love with a miniature armoured vehicle with a long tongue?
- What does it feel like to sit in a vehicle with a loaded pistol on the seat beside you waiting for a sting operation to go down?
Professor Ray Jansen, founder and chairman of the African Pangolin Working Group, a non-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation of Africa’s four pangolin species.
Dr Karin Lourens, Founder-director and head veterinarian of the Johannesburg Wildlife Veterinary Hospital, passionate about conservation and the foremost expert in the treatment and rehabilitation of Temminck’s pangolin.
Nicci Wright, wildlife rehab specialist with over 20 years of wildlife rehabilitation experience; Executive Director of the African Pangolin Working Group; Wildlife Project Manager of the Humane Society International-Africa and Director of the Johannesburg Wildlife Veterinary Hospital.
Dr Wendy Panaino, nearing completion of her PhD on Temminck’s pangolin in the Kalahari, Wendy is also a project manager on the Kalahari Endangered Ecosystem Project,
Simon Naylor, Conservation Manager for &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve. Simon has been involved in pangolin conservation since May 2019.
Introduction and Closing by Mdu Ntuli, a South African interviewer, speaker and podcaster (Mdu’s Mike)
There will be a question and answer session after the discussion. You can send through questions in the Zoom chat function during the talk, or you can send them ahead of time via the email address provided on registration.
Special offer for registrants
Registrants can buy Richard Peirce’s latest book Pangolins: Scales of Injustice for a discounted price, with free delivery within South Africa.
Just download this form, fill it in and sent it with your proof of payment to the email listed on the form.